PENDLETON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Post Office Box 293
Franklin, WV 26807
HOME ABOUT US AUGUSTA DISCS BOOKS, CARDS & CALENDARS NEWSPAPER DISCS OTHER DISCS RESOURCES WWI SOLDIERS CONTACT


BOGGS HOUSE MUSEUM

The Boggs House Museum on Oak Street in Franklin is the oldest house in Pendleton County. Built from logs in 1758, it was originally located three miles north of Franklin and used as a frontier fort. In the early 1800s, after the need for defense against the Indians had passed, logs from the fort were moved to its present location and turned into a dwelling. In the 1870s, the log walls were covered with weatherboarding and a separate kitchen and porch were added.

Several families occupied the house through the years and in 1904 it became the home of Gordon and Elsie Byrd Boggs. "Miss Elsie" was very interested in Pendleton County history and was the author of several books and articles relating to county and local history. In 1926, she was a leader in the formation of the Pendleton County Historical Society. In 2008, her daughter, Mrs. Grace Dyer, bequeathed the house and its contents to the Pendleton County Historical Society for use as a museum to display items of county history and to further research and preservation of the history of Pendleton County. In keeping with her wishes the Museum was opened in 2009.

Exhibits include part of the original log walls of the fort, primitive tools, furniture from the 19th and early 20th centuries, Civil War artifacts related to Pendleton County, World War II artifacts and uniforms worn by local servicemen, county folk arts, and a collection of county quilts and woven coverlets made the 19th and early 20th centuries. In observance of the 100th anniversary, a new exhibit for 2017 will feature World War I and related items. Included will be many photographs of Pendleton County soldiers.

At this time the museum does not have regular hours of operation. If you will be visiting and would like to schedule a tour please call (304) 358-2869.






HOME ABOUT US AUGUSTA DISCS BOOKS, CARDS & CALENDARS NEWSPAPER DISCS OTHER DISCS RESOURCES WWI SOLDIERS CONTACT

©2017 Pendleton County Historical Society